lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: simple (?) question about scoring
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 07:17:12 GMT

: I have a question: is the score for a document different if I have
: only that document in my index, or if I have N documents?
: If the answer is yes, I will put all N documents together, otherwise I
: will evaluate them one by one.

as i said before, yes it does...

>> For most of the various types of Queries that exist in Lucene, the
>> score is very dependent on how common the Terms involved are in the
>> Corpus as a whole -- if your Corpus consists of only 1 Document, then
>> your scores are going to be relatively meaningless.

...you will see a big difference between an index containing 1 doc, and an
index containing 10 docs which all match your query, and an index
containing 100000 docs.

I believe Doron already suggested you take a look at the Document
explainaing how Lucene's Scoring works correct? ...

	http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/scoring.html

-Hoss