lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <DOR...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: simple (?) question about scoring
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:36:27 GMT
michele.amoretti wrote:
> Ok I am trying the MemoryIndex, but when compiling I have the
> following erro message:
>
> package org.apache.lucene.index.memory does not exist
>
> Is it not included in the lucene .jar?
>
> I currently have the latest lucene binaries.

Yes this is not part of core Lucene but rather under contrib.
To use this you can either download the source and compile, or download
lucene-2.0.0.zip from the download site and use lucene-memory-2.0.0.jar
from within that zip.

> parse(java.lang.String) in org.apache.lucene.queryParser.QueryParser
> cannot be applied to
> (java.lang.String,java.lang.String,org.apache.lucene.analysis.Analyzer)
>     [javac]     float score =
> index.search(QueryParser.parse("information", "content", analyzer));

Probably because sample code in that javadocs was created with Lucene 1.4.
See
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LuceneFAQ#head-d09fdfc8a6335eab4e3f3dc8ac41a40a3666318e
and also
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Lucene-in-Action-examples-complie-problem-p6743189.html

> > Lucene scoring - http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/scoring.html - uses
> > pre-computed statistics, location info, and the number of documents in
the
> > index (1 in your case). So some preparation is required before a
> > (stand-alone) document can be scored against a query.

Also see comments by Chris on the value (or not) of the score you would
get.