lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Lu" <chris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modelling relational data in Lucene Index?
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 20:09:50 GMT
I personally like your effort, but technically I would  disagree.

The SOLR project, and the project I am working on, DBSight, have an
detached approach which is implementation agnostic, no matter if it's
java, ruby, php, .net. The return results can be a rendered HTML,
JSON, XML. I don't think you can be more flexible than that. If
creating an new index takes 5 minutes without any coding, you can
create something more creative.

>From business side, you don't need to worry about indexing when
designing a system. New requirement may come. It's very hard trying to
anticipate all the needs.

Technically, detached approach gives more flexible on resources like
CPU, memory, hard drive. For example, if your index grows large, say
1G, indexing can take hours with merging, I am not sure how compass or
hibernate/lucene handles it. Need to re-write code at that time? I
actually feel it's a dangerous trap.

> I've introduced a session.index() which forces the (re)indexing of the
> document
So does it mean you need to write some code to fix the index if it's crashed?

> What do you mean by multithread safe? The indexing?
> the indexing is multithread safe in the Hibernate Lucene integration
The indexing can be threadsafe. But will it affect the searching? With
many files changing and merging, if you cache the searcher. the
searching will have "read passed EOF" exceptions. If you don't cache
the searcher, you will loose the built-in caching, FieldCacheImpl, in
Lucene.

> The query process?
> the query doesn't have to since you query on a give session (aka user
> conversation), so no multithread threat here.
So you are not caching searcher.

--
Chris Lu