lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Lu" <chris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modelling relational data in Lucene Index?
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 05:31:47 GMT
Hi, Rajesh,

You can use space as <sep>, by use WhitespaceAnalyzer.

By detached mode, I mean the search function and your java system
should be kind of logically separated. From the technical side, a
separated search server will be more scalable. From the business side,
searching is more like an add-on rather than a must-have. And users
will have new different requirements to query the content.

--
Chris Lu
-------------------------

On 11/2/06, Rajesh parab <rajesh_parab_1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for feedback Chris.
>
> I agree with you. The data set should be flattened out to store inside Lucene index.
The Folder-File was just an example. As you know, in relational database, we can have more
complex relationships. I understand that this model may not work for deeper relationships.

> What I am mainly interested in is just one level deep relationship. But, I would like
to search on the additional attributes of the related object. For example, in the relationship
for Folder-File, I would like to use additional file attributes as search criteria along with
file name while searching for folders.

> The way I see is having single filed for the related object and all its additional attributes
and use some separator while capturing this data inside Lucene Field object. For example -

>             new Field("file", "abc.txt<sep>image");
>
> But, I am not quite sure if this model will work.
>
> BTW. I did not understand what you meant by the detached approach. Can you please elaborate?
>
> Regards,
> Rajesh

fields inside the document. There is no relationship between any field.

> > > I would like to enable index based search for some of the components inside
relational database. For exmaple, let say "Folder" Object. The Folder object can have relationship
with File object. The File object, in turn, can have attributes like is image, is text file,
etc. So, the stricture is

> > >     Folder -- > File
> > >              ------- > is image, is text file, ......
> > >

> > > I would like to enable a search to find a Folder with File of type image. How
can we model such relational data inside Lucene index?