lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Seeta Somagani" <se...@gotuit.com>
Subject Multi valued fields
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 17:21:24 GMT
Hi all,

Our company has a set of assets and we use meta-data (XML files) to
describe each asset. My job is to index and search over the meta-data
associated with the assets. The interesting aspect of my problem is that
an asset can have more than one meta-data file associated with it,
depending on the context that the asset lies in. The search result must
display an asset only once. If more than one meta-data associated with
it match the search query, we need to display the different meta-data
associated with the asset in order of relevance as part of one hit to be
able to show the user the various contexts that this asset occurs in.

My first idea was to index each meta-data file into its own document and
merge the documents with the same asset_id on search. But, there are
hundreds of thousands of meta-data and the search results can run into
hundreds.

My next idea was to index all the meta-data associated with an asset
into multi-valued fields. But, I cannot see a way to rank within the
multi-valued fields.

Another crazy idea that crossed my mind - how about building a separate
index that indexes document ids of the documents associated with an
asset, so that I can look it up to merge the hits?

Any thoughts?

Seeta