lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <>
Subject Re: Hierarchical classified documents
Date Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:21:45 GMT
karl wettin wrote:
> 25 nov 2006 kl. 17.26 skrev Robert Koberg:
>> What I do is add a 'path' field with the xpath to the node. Then you
>> first narrow your search by finding documents with paths like:
>> /node[1]/node[3]*
> You use a wildcard query? That can turn out to be very expensive if you
> have a thousand and thousand of heirarchies. Or?

I think it is a valid option to have, at least for my needs.

I do it for a website hierarchy. Hopefully, a website will not have a
very deep hierarchy :) Basically, it is presented to the user in a
right+click context menu on a nav tree.

You /could/ use the wildcard query with the hope that the user has
drilled down as far as possible. Or you could just search a directory
and not go any deeper (by not including the wildcard char -- presented
to the user as a search option).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message