lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Antony Bowesman <...@teamware.com>
Subject Limiting QueryParser
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:26:09 GMT
Hi,

I have a search UI that allows search criteria to be input against specific
fields, e.g. Subject.

In order to create a suitable Lucene Query, I must analyze that String so that
it becomes a set of Tokens which I can then turn into Terms.  QueryParser seems
to fit the bill for that, however, it is too clever as it assumes that anything
suffixes with a : is a field reference.

If someone enters

important:conference agenda

in the subject field, I don't want QP to translate this to

+important:conference +defaultfield:agenda

I want to end up with

+subject:important +subject:conference +subject:agenda

I've written something to do this, but I know it is not as clever as QP as
currently it can only create BooleanQueries with TermQueries and cannot handle
PhraseQuery, so would not handle

important:"conference agenda"

correctly.  Does anyone have any pointers on how to limit QueryParser so that I
can force it to treat what it thinks as fields as terms.

Thanks
Antony