lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Steven Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: is there any way to find unique records ?
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:35:59 GMT
Hi Bhavin,

Bhavin Pandya wrote:
> In lucene, is there any way to find only unique records from a single
> field ..?
>
> otherwise unnecessary i have to itereate through Hits and find out
> unique...

Can you clarify what you mean by "unique"?

Do you want to return only documents that have a field value that is not
contained in other documents, that is, to exclude documents which share
the same particular field value with at least one other document?

Or, do you want to return just one document from each set of documents
that share the same field value (given your database-ish "record"
terminology, where standard Lucene usage is "document", I'm guessing
that "SELECT UNIQUE" is what you want)?  And if so, do you care which
one from the set is returned?  That is, do you have any other selection
criteria?

Steve