lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Antony Bowesman <>
Subject Re: Q: Wildcard searching with german umlauts (ä, ö, ß, ...)
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 03:28:13 GMT
Stephan Spat wrote:
> Hello again!
> It replaces german umlauts, e.g. ä <=> a, ü <=> u, ... . So no umlauts

> are in the index. For searching I use the same Analyzer. When I do a
> simple search for a word with umlauts there is no problem. But if I use
> addidionally wildcards I suppose the word is not analyzed and so I word
> with umlauts and wildcards is not found in the index?!! (for example:
> grö*). Is this assumption correct?

I came across this class this morning:

AnalyzingQueryParser - Overrides Lucene's default QueryParser so that Fuzzy-,
Prefix-, Range-, and WildcardQuerys are also passed through the given analyzer,
but ? and * don't get removed from the search terms.

Read the warning re German though.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message