lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Re: Q: Highlighter + Search symbols "*, ?, ~"
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:13:31 GMT
Stephan Spat wrote:
> It is necessary to give a "native" query to the QueryScorer (only
> Boolean operators). Therefore I just took the an IndexWriter object and
> used its public method rewrite(query).

How efficient is this for huge wildcard queries?  e.g. "a*"

At the moment we highlight our terms by using for instance,
WildcardQuery#getEnum(IndexReader), and only storing the strings which
it returns, whereas I would assume Query#rewrite(IndexReader) would take
up much more memory.

Range queries are another one... try querying for a range from a to zzzz
and see what happens. :-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll