lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bernard <emman...@hibernate.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: Hibernate Lucene trademark issues
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:21:58 GMT
Hi,
I am not really familiar with Compass I haven't really looked at the
code, Hibernate Lucene (now renamed Hibernate Search) started from a
user demand. I had some in depth discussions though, with some users
that evaluated both Compass and Hibernate Search that helped me drive
its design.

Here are the arguments in favor of Hibernate Search:
1. not Yet Another API to deal with your domain model
If you already use an ORM (JPA or Hibernate), you are familiar with
those APIs. Using compass implies that you have to use a different set
of API to play with the object lifecycle (CRUD).
Hibernate Search is integrated with the org.hibernate.Query interface,
and all the CUD operations on the index are triggered from the Hibernate
CUD operations.

2. Metadata
Metadata are minimal and fit particularly well through annotations, so
you don't have yet another XML representation of ther same domain model
(Compass might now have annotations support, you'll have to check)

3. it's all about managed objects (ie managed by the Session or the
EntityManager)
Hibernate Search gives you back objects managed by the Session, so any
change made to them will (by default) be synchronized with the database,
this is the normal behavior of an ORM, but is not what you have from a
Compass search.
This approach fits well with the JBoss Seam approach of having all the
application around the domain model and EJB 3.0

4. Not too much abstraction
 From what I've heard, Compass borrow a lot of its design / classnames
from Hibernate/Spring/Lucene. Compass tries to abstract those 3
techlnologies (at least Hibernate and Lucene), by providing its own
infrastructure.
What am trying to do with Hibernate Search is to keep the abstraction as
light as possible. For advanced Lucene query you'll have to use pure
Lucene APIs, which is possible / natural with Hibernate Search

I invite you to check these links (which I expect to release soon)
http://www.mail-archive.com/hibernate-dev%40lists.jboss.org/msg00392.html
and for the future (but flexible)
http://www.mail-archive.com/hibernate-dev%40lists.jboss.org/msg00393.html

HTH