lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Martin Braun <mbr...@uni-hd.de>
Subject Best approach for exact Prefix Field Query
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:32:22 GMT
hi,

i would like to provide a exact "PrefixField Search", i.e. a search for
exactly the first words in a field.
I think I can't use a PrefixQuery because it would find also substrings
inside the field, e.g.
action* would find titles like "Action and knowledge" but also (that's
what i don't want it to find)
"Lucene in Action"

As a regex it would be sth. like /^Action and.*/

Now the question for me is how to implement this functionality, I see to
ways:

1) Some kind of TermEnum over all Docs (or the prefixquery results?) and
string comparison
2) Using the regex contribution
3) a super -fast lucene function I have overseen :)

with 2) I am worrying about performance, anybody have experiences with
regex-queries?

.. but same for 1) anybody already impolemented this already and could
give some code samples / hints ?

tia,

martin