lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modelling relational data in Lucene Index?
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 03:29:10 GMT
Lucene is probably not the solution if you are looking for a relational
model. You should be using a database for that. If you want to combine
Lucene with a relational model, check out Hibernate and the new EJB
annotations that it supports...there is a cool little Lucene add-on that
lets you declare fields to be indexed (and how) with annotations.

- Mark

Rajesh parab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I understand, Lucene has a flat structure where you can define multiple fields inside
the document. There is no relationship between any field.

> I would like to enable index based search for some of the components inside relational
database. For exmaple, let say "Folder" Object. The Folder object can have relationship with
File object. The File object, in turn, can have attributes like is image, is text file, etc.
So, the stricture is

>     Folder -- > File
>              ------- > is image, is text file, ......
>

> I would like to enable a search to find a Folder with File of type image. How can we
model such relational data inside Lucene index?