lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Olenin" <VOle...@cihi.ca>
Subject RE: injecting fields looked up from DB at the runtime - Solr/Lucene question
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 15:36:04 GMT
So, if I'll be using Solr, what's the right strategy? Is it possible to
redefine SolrDocument class through configuration? If not, would it be
safe to inject these properties through Aspects while maintaining the
whole framework intact and in workable condition? (eg, if at some point
for some reason the field is cross checked with content of the index,
which won't work if I'm injecting field from the DB, or smth like
that...)

Vlad

-----Original Message-----
From: yseeley@gmail.com [mailto:yseeley@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Yonik
Seeley
Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2006 9:36 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: injecting fields looked up from DB at the runtime -
Solr/Lucene question

On 11/5/06, Vladimir Olenin <VOlenin@cihi.ca> wrote:
> - when the Hits objects are returned from IndexSearcher (as a result
of some search), 'inject' 'info' fields into the 'Hit' objects at
runtime by looking the values up in the DB. The main purpose is to avoid
storing 'info' fields in the index as 'stored' fields.

Yes, I've considered doing that at the Solr layer... adding something
like a subclassable SolrDocument.  An implementation could add other
fields by retrieving them from a database.

Upsides: simpler clients that don't need to understand where stored
fields are coming from.
Downsides: you tie yourself to a database (another thing to worry about
in an environment where you need HA).

-Yonik
http://incubator.apache.org/solr Solr, the open-source Lucene search
server