lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Limiting QueryParser
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:17:56 GMT
I've also got to ask a similar question to Michael's... Who is the UI
intended for? If it's intended for any type of "end user", even other IT
folks, who aren't  Lucene junkies, trying to explain when colon's count and
when they don't is going to be a challenge. I predict it will lead to 1>
endless confusion and 2> waaaaaay more time spent than you think and 3>
little value actually added to the app.

I think that rather than spending time worrying about this issue, I'd define
it away by removing colon's from my token stream while indexing and causing
every colon in my free-form text to be a field. Unless I just took away the
field:value syntax from the free-form entry field entirely.....

Erick