lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Specific string query search
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:28:29 GMT
Well, if none of the regular analyzers meet your needs, you can always roll
your own. There is an example of a SynonymAnanlyzer in Lucene In Action that
you can use as a model. It's not very difficult (although a bit arcane).

You're right, WhitespaceAnalyzer doesn't respect case. But it should work
for the FIELD:TEXT kind of searches. When you say it doesn't work, what
exactly are you seeing? Have you used luke to examine your index? You can
use Luke to see how the WhitespaceAnalyzer rewrites your query, that'll tell
you a lot.

You can always lowercase your input stream yourself both at index time and
at search time....

But I have to ask: What is the value of indexing and searching on things
like colons? Would your application be better served by just letting the
analyzers do their work? Then SimpleAnalyzer or StopAnalyzer might be all
you need (since they lowercase).

You also might investigate UN_TOKENIZED storage in your index, although you
then have to take care when constructing your query.

Best
Erick