lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Rajesh parab <rajesh_para...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Transaction support in Lucene
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:19:35 GMT
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback.

I am talking about transaction support in Lucene only. If there is a failure during insert/update/delete
of document inside the index, there is no way to roll back the operation and this will keep
the index in in-consistent state.

I read about Compass providing transaction support on top of Lucene APIs. But, I am not sure,
if it is a good idea to use Compass instead of directly using Lucene APIs. There will always
be a dependency on Compass to support the latest version/additions to Lucene.

Regards,
Rajesh

----- Original Message ----
From: Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 10:09:49 AM
Subject: Re: Transaction support in Lucene

Rajesh parab wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is any plan in adding transaction support in Lucene?

I don't know of specific plans.

This has been discussed before on user & dev lists.  I know the
Compass project builds transactional support on top of Lucene.

Are you asking for transaction support shared with something external
(eg a database)?  Meaning updates to the DB and to Lucene either
atomically succeed or fail, together?

Or, are you asking for transactional behaviour of updates just to
Lucene, eg, you want to do a bunch of adds & deletes but have them not
be visible (committed) until the end of your transaction and roll back
on any failure?

Mike