lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Rajesh parab <rajesh_para...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Modelling relational data in Lucene Index?
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 04:22:02 GMT
Thanks for feedback Chris.

I agree with you. The data set should be flattened out to store inside Lucene index. The Folder-File
was just an example. As you know, in relational database, we can have more complex relationships.
I understand that this model may not work for deeper relationships.

What I am mainly interested in is just one level deep relationship. But, I would like to search
on the additional attributes of the related object. For example, in the relationship for Folder-File,
I would like to use additional file attributes as search criteria along with file name while
searching for folders.

The way I see is having single filed for the related object and all its additional attributes
and use some separator while capturing this data inside Lucene Field object. For example -

            new Field("file", "abc.txt<sep>image");

But, I am not quite sure if this model will work.

BTW. I did not understand what you meant by the detached approach. Can you please elaborate?

Regards,
Rajesh

----- Original Message ----
From: Chris Lu <chris.lu@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, November 2, 2006 7:57:46 PM
Subject: Re: Modelling relational data in Lucene Index?

For this specific question, you can create index on files, search
files that of type image, and from matched files, find the unique
directories(can be done in lucene or you can do it via java).

Of course this does not scale to deeper relationships. Usually you do
need to flattern the database objects in order to use lucene. It's
just trading space for speed.

I would prefer a detached approach instead of Hibernate or EJB's
approach, which is kind of too tightly coupled with any system. How to
rebuild if the index is corrupted, or you have a new Analyzer, or
schema evolves? How to make it multi-thread safe?

--
Chris Lu
-------------------------

On 11/2/06, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lucene is probably not the solution if you are looking for a relational
> model. You should be using a database for that. If you want to combine
> Lucene with a relational model, check out Hibernate and the new EJB
> annotations that it supports...there is a cool little Lucene add-on that
> lets you declare fields to be indexed (and how) with annotations.
>
> - Mark
>
> Rajesh parab wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As I understand, Lucene has a flat structure where you can define multiple fields
inside the document. There is no relationship between any field.

> > I would like to enable index based search for some of the components inside relational
database. For exmaple, let say "Folder" Object. The Folder object can have relationship with
File object. The File object, in turn, can have attributes like is image, is text file, etc.
So, the stricture is

> >     Folder -- > File
> >              ------- > is image, is text file, ......
> >

> > I would like to enable a search to find a Folder with File of type image. How can
we model such relational data inside Lucene index?