lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Eric Brown <yogieric....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cached Hits / closing IndexSearcher after add/delete w/IndexModifier
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:32:51 GMT
Hi Yonik,

On Nov 29, 2006, at 11:16 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On 11/29/06, Eric Brown <yogieric.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> Also, should I keep one IndexModifier open for the life of my
>> service/
>> application or should I open and close it when I get new requests to
>> add or remove documents? (I don't really have control over batching
>> unfortunately -- though I've certainly pointed it out.)
>
> IndexModifier currently has very low performance with mixed adds
> and deletes.
> You can keep the same one over the lifetime of the app though.

Assuming I call flush() after every operation (they won't be that
frequent), if I don't call close() when my application shuts down,
will I run into locking issues when I restart my application?

> If you haven't seen it, another alternative that might fit your
> needs is Solr.

I just took a look. It looks very applicable and I'll look at it
seriously for subsequent roll-outs of our site. For the short-term
I'm too tight for time to change direction.

Thanks!
Eric