lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Ordered Proximity searching, does it exist?
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:41:06 GMT

On Nov 20, 2006, at 11:20 PM, Adam wrote:

> Dear Lucene Users,
>
> Is there a way or has someone been able to implement an ordered
> proximity search. Lucene currently uses the "word1 word2"~5 query
> to find tokens that are within 5 words of each other in any order.
> What I've been asked to do is find only the results that are for
> instance within 5 words of each other in the order the query was
> written.

Yup... SpanNearQuery supports ordered and unordered proximity.
PhraseQuery does not, though.  QueryParser will only create a
PhraseQuery though, so you'll need to subclass QueryParser to add
this functionality.  There is an example of this in the free code of
Lucene in Action - http://www.lucenebook.com

	Erik