lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Peter Keegan" <peterlkee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Announcement: Lucene powering Monster job search index (Beta)
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:50:24 GMT
On 10/27/06, Chris Lu <chris.lu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Peter,
>
> Really great job!

Thanks. (I'll tell the team)

I am interested to know how you implemented "4. Sort by 'Miles'". For
> example, if starting from a zip code, how to match items within 20
> miles?

I can tell you how we use Lucene to accomplish this.
At indexing time, each job's location is indexed as a special field. How you
represent the location is up to you. Each time a new index is built the
location data for all documents in the index are fetched via TermEnum and
TermDocs. This is practical because the searcher refresh is done at
predictable times. At query time, a custom SortComparatorSource is created,
using the 'reference' location (the zip/radius). The 'compare' method
performs the calculation to compare the 2 documents' location values (saved
from above) to the reference location.

I believe this can also be accomplished with Solr's FunctionQuery, but I
haven't tried that yet.

Peter