lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: lucene newbie question
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 18:12:25 GMT

On Oct 2, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Los Morales wrote:
> I'm new to Lucene and IR in general.  I'm a bit confused on the
> concept of fields.  From what I've read, a field does not have to
> be indexed but its value can be stored in an index.  Likewise a
> field can be indexed but its value is not stored in an index.  Now
> how can a field be searchable when its value is not stored in the
> index and vice-versa?  Again, I'm new to the Index/Search
> paradigm.  Thanks in advanced.

Consider the index in the back of a book.  You could tear that out
and still use it to tell what page something is on, but you have no
actual content in hand.  When a field is tokenized (and therefore
implicitly indexed), it is run through the specified Analyzer and the
terms emitted are indexed, but the original text may or may not also
be stored in the index.

Make sense?

	Erik