lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Johan Stuyts" <j.stu...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: Preventing merging by IndexWriter
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:47:09 GMT
> > So my questions are: is there a way to prevent the IndexWriter from
> > merging, forcing it to create a new segment for each indexing batch?
>
> Already done in the Lucene trunk:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-672
>
> Background:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-dev/39799#39799
>
> > And
> > if so, will it still be possible to merge the disk segments
> when I want
> > to?
>
> call optimize()

Thanks, I have got it working now. But I think it is not a viable
solution either. These are the problems that I see:
- the number of segments will probably increase too fast, requiring
optimizations regularly.
- Given the size of the external data, making it consistent with the
Lucene index will, in the worst case, require processing and writing to
disk of hundreds of megabytes.

The biggest problem is of course the combination of them: having to
process too much data too may times.

Johan