lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From <smath...@funmobility.com>
Subject Design Consideration for lucene index
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 18:40:37 GMT
I am a newbie to the lucene search area. I would like to best way to do
the following using lucene in terms of efficiency and the size of the

Question : #1
I have a table that contains some tags. These tags are tagged against
multiple images that are in a different table (potentially 20 to 30,000
images). If I am searching for a tag phrase and get the corresponding
images, the approach that I was thinking is to join these two tables and
index the result set.
For example:
Tag(abc)- ImageId1, Tag(abc)-ImageId2, Tag(abc)-ImageId3 etc. Hence this
is a fairly fat joint. Assuming that we are doing like this how is the
performance on lucene? If it is a bad design, what should be a better
way of doing this? Looking forward to your valuable suggestions.

Question : #2
I need to search the multiple fields from a table. The search phrase
needs to look for the fields DESCRIPTION1 and DESCRIPTION2 in the table.
I have done something like this:
while (rs.next()) {
 Document doc = new Document();
 doc.add(new Field("ID", String.valueOf(rs.getInt("ID")),
Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.UN_TOKENIZED));
 doc.add(new Field("Description1", rs.getString("Description1"),
Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.TOKENIZED));
 doc.add(new Field("Description2", rs.getString("Description2"),
Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.TOKENIZED));
 String content = rs.getString("Description1") + " " +
rs.getString("Description2")
 doc.add(new Field("cContent", content, Field.Store.YES,
Field.Index.TOKENIZED));
 list[0].add(doc);
 }

Do I need to do the cContent part for searching? Is this increasing the
size of the index? Is it better to create a dynamic query that looks for
the description1 description2 field or use the cContent?

Please help me in figuring out these things.
Thanks

Mathews