lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Mekin Maheshwari" <meki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: constructing smaller phrase queries given a multi-word query
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:52:02 GMT
On 10/19/06, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the use case you're trying to solve? It doesn't make sense to me
> that you want to take a query from a user and split it over fields under the
> covers.

Well I am planning on doing exactly that, given that we have seen some
amount of user queries which need to match across fields.

eg. "rowling goblet of fire" - need to match rowling in 1 field &
"goblet of fire in another
"hilary duff most wanted" - need to match "hilary duff" in 1 field &
"most wanted" in another

>  Why not just index those separate fields into the yet a third field and
> search there?
>
> Or why not just put it all into one field in the first place?

I need the ability to boost matches in certain fields higher than others.
So both the above approaches do not work for me.

Not all fields have the same analyzer, so thats another reason for not
using 1 catch-all field.

I am trying out DisjunctionMaxQueries  and will soon move to it.
I first want a phrase match to be done & if that fails then a non-phrase match.
My problem is that I cant easily decide which phrases to build given a
4+word query from the user.

Thanks Erik for the response,
Hope I have done a better job of explaining my problem,

-mek

http://mekin.livejournal.com/