lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Lu" <chris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Oracle Text 10g... or NOT
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:39:09 GMT
Several additional reasons I can think of:
1) Being able to control the algorithsm, for example,
   1.1) applying your own analyzer to a field.
   1.2) control your own way of ranking
2) De-couple your data model from the searching
  Searching directly on your data model may not be ideal. You may want
to add more attributes, like "ranking", or de-normed info like tags
for the record.
3) Faster
  Faster is not just one advantage. It's a feature. Because it's fast,
you can add many new features based on that, like google's suggest, or
simply more different kinds of search at one shot.

Lucene Draw back:
1) Not easily to combine search results with the SQL conditions

--
Chris Lu
-------------------------

On 10/17/06, Bryzek.Michael <Michael.Bryzek@uwa.unitedway.org> wrote:
> We used Oracle interMedia/Text for search within the RDMS beginning with oracle 8i through
oracle 10g. Two primary reasons we switched to solr/lucene:

>   * We saw random errors (< .1% of the time) when users ran full text search. We believe
the source of this error occurred during index update as users ran searches. Oracle support
and our team never resolved this issue. We prefer to update our data set 2-4 times per hour
and could never find a reliable way to do this with Oracle.

>   * When we upgraded to Oracle 10g release 2, the frequency of these errors increased
10 fold and necessitated the change to another solution (Oracle support again could not diagnose
root cause of our application errors). We first implemented Lucene, but then found Solr and
have been extremely pleased. Solr offers the benefit of a standard XML HTTP API which allows
us to expose search to all sorts of applications and partners with no additional effort.

> We run oracle on redhat linux, so your mileage may vary. We also run standard edition
one now, but oracle text was made part of this edition a few years ago.

> In implementing, we've found a few other features that are quite nice:
>
>   * If we change our indexing strategy (e.g. a new analyzer), we can stop the update
process, index our data in a separate environment, transfer the new index datafiles to production,
and restart the instance. You might be able to do full online rebuilds with Oracle Text, but
with lucene it just a non issue.