lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Bryzek.Michael" <Michael.Bry...@uwa.unitedway.org>
Subject RE: Oracle Text 10g... or NOT
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:38:07 GMT
We used Oracle interMedia/Text for search within the RDMS beginning with oracle 8i through
oracle 10g. Two primary reasons we switched to solr/lucene:

  * We saw random errors (< .1% of the time) when users ran full text search. We believe
the source of this error occurred during index update as users ran searches. Oracle support
and our team never resolved this issue. We prefer to update our data set 2-4 times per hour
and could never find a reliable way to do this with Oracle.

  * When we upgraded to Oracle 10g release 2, the frequency of these errors increased 10 fold
and necessitated the change to another solution (Oracle support again could not diagnose root
cause of our application errors). We first implemented Lucene, but then found Solr and have
been extremely pleased. Solr offers the benefit of a standard XML HTTP API which allows us
to expose search to all sorts of applications and partners with no additional effort.

We run oracle on redhat linux, so your mileage may vary. We also run standard edition one
now, but oracle text was made part of this edition a few years ago.

In implementing, we've found a few other features that are quite nice:

  * If we change our indexing strategy (e.g. a new analyzer), we can stop the update process,
index our data in a separate environment, transfer the new index datafiles to production,
and restart the instance. You might be able to do full online rebuilds with Oracle Text, but
with lucene it just a non issue.

  * Indexing is fast

  * Scaling search separate from RDBMS is a real blessing

-Mike