lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jed Wesley-Smith <...@atlassian.com>
Subject FSDirectory.close()
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 01:33:13 GMT
All,

Just a quick question regarding the need to call Directory.close()
(actually for an FSDirectory) and whether it is really necessary. As far
as I can tell, the only implication of this is that the refCount is not
decremented and therefore the FSDirectory will persist for the life of
the VM. This is not a problem for us as it never changes for us, and so
will stick around anyway.

The way we use the directory is to use it for creating IndexReaders and
IndexWriters that are closed directly after use (apart from the Reader
used for a Searcher which is closed only when mutative operations are
made to the index).

At the moment, Directory.close() is NEVER called, not even during
application shutdown. This doesn't appear to have any problems, but we
are just wondering if anybody has seen any problems with not calling it.

--
cheers,
- jed.