lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Breck Baldwin <br...@alias-i.com>
Subject Re: experiences with lingpipe
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:16:31 GMT

Martin Braun wrote:
> Hi Breck,
>
> thanks for your answer.

<snip>

>>>What about performance?
>>
>>Tuning params dominate the performance space. A small beam (16 active
>>hypotheses) will be quite snappy (I have 200 queries/sec with a 32 beam.
>>over a 80 gig text collection that with some pruning was 5 gig in memory
>>running an 8 gram model)
>>

> That's really impressive (though I didn't understand what you mean with
> "beams").

Beam is how many active spellings your search space has. So 'brek' with
a beam of 3 would retain 3 different spelling variations as a result of
the best scoreing edits against the underlyinig language model--it is
maintained in a left to right scan of the word.

> Did I unterstand the  license term correctly, that I could use Lingpipe
> for free when I am building a Search Engine for a Academic Website (for
> free use)?

Yep.

best

breck

> thanks,
> martin
>

>>Tuning is a big deal and I need to write a tuning tutorial. I am doing
>>more teaching/training now so that may happen.
>>

>>breck
>>

>>>Does anybody have a good idea how to find typos in the index.
>>>
>>>tia,
>>>martin

Breck Baldwin
Alias-i, Inc.