lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: QueryParser Is Badly Broken
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2006 23:55:44 GMT
Renaud Waldura wrote:
> While we are also developing a query-building UI, users must be able to
> enter text queries as well. What do other folks do? I mean, this is
> pretty bad. I can hardly go back to my scientists and tell them Lucene
> is unable to handle 2 boolean operators, that they should parenthesize
> everything by hand. I mean, that's just cheesy.

What I'm doing for our application is to advise users to put in the
parentheses.  It's cheesy, but safe.

What I would do if the application were relatively new is to advise
against using AND/OR/NOT, and using + and - instead since it seems that
syntax is relatively reliable.  Actually I would probably consider
removing the AND/OR/NOT syntax from the query parser itself.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd