lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Aleksei Valikov <vali...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Advantage of putting lucene index in RDBMS
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 08:38:54 GMT
Hi.

> I have been reading the lists for couple of week now, and I noticed people
> asking about placing their indexes into a RDBMS. What is the advantage of
> that?
>
> So far lucene was able to solve all my problems, but I am curious how else
> people are using it (especially with RDBMS).

Having an index in the DB makes it possible to join full-text queries against
this index with some other structured queries against other table.

Here's a practical example. We have a data management system for managing
geographic metadata. Documents that we manage (geometadata) have spatial extents
(bounding boxes), temporal extents (time periods) and a lot of textual information.

Currently, complex queries like "contains 'water*', from 1998 till 2001, in area
(5, 45, 15, 55)" can't be processed in the relational DB only or in Lucene index
only. We have to make a relatively expensive union/join outside the Lucene and
the RDB. Having Lucene index within the DB and Lucene query (re)formulatable in
SQL would allow us performing the join inside the DB which is much more performant.

Bye.
/lexi