lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Olenin" <VOle...@cihi.ca>
Subject native Java DB (eg, Derby) to store the index: performance comparision?..
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2006 15:58:32 GMT
Hi,

I've been wondering if anyone has tried to compare the performance of
any 'native' Java DB as index storage mechanism vs Lucene custom
implementation? I'm assuming that DB products should provide some
functionality for 'free' right out of the box (correct, if I'm wrong):

- easily managable and maintainable index (accessible through any SQL
client tool)
- efficient access into large massives of data
  * potential support of 'distributed' DB, which can spawn across
multiple boxes transparently to the client app (the Lucene engine
generating the queries)
- much less hassle of integrating Lucene into the applications backed by
the DB (eg, many stores, 'city sites', portals which already have all
their data in relational tables and only need to get efficient fuzzy
searches across this data)
  * no need to keep Lucene index in sync with data, since Lucene will
reuse PKs and indexes from the DB

So, I think the main question is whether Lucene custom way of
maintaining _and accessing_ the index is (much?) more efficient than
that one of available open source native Java DBs (Derby, etc)

Thanks!

Vladimir Olenin
Software Architect
[w]: 416-544-5598