lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Searching documents on big index by using ParallelMultiSearcher is slow...
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2006 11:27:21 GMT
Well, the first question is always "are you opening/closing your
IndexSearchers for each request on your remote machines?". This is always a
no-no. This is also a question for your single-searcher version.

What is your performance if you only go to one server? I'd start by finding
out what happens when you forget all the ParallelMultiSearcher stuff, all
the RMI stuff etc, and just see what your performance is on one of your
index parts locally. Once that is answered, extend to RMI, then the
Parallel...., at each step seeing if your performance degrades unacceptably.
That'll at least give you a clue what part of the process is the biggest
problem.

And without knowing a LOT more about your searches, and your index, it's
kind of hard to come up with solutions <G>....

Best
Erick