lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performing a like query
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:52:14 GMT
Well, I'm not the greatest expert, but a quick look doesn't show me anything
obvious. But I have to ask, wouldn't WhiteSpaceAnalyzer work for you?
Although I don't remember whether WhiteSpaceAnalyzer lowercases or not.

It sure looks like you're getting reasonable results given how you're
tokenizing.

If not that, you might want to think about PatternAnalyzer. It's in the
memory contribution section, see import
org.apache.lucene.index.memory.PatternAnalyzer. One note of caution, the
regex identifies what is NOT a token, rather than what is. This threw me for
a bit.

I still claim that you could break the tokens up like "6", "/", "12", and
make SpanNearQuery work with a span of 0 (or 1, I don't remember right now),
but that may well be more trouble than it's worth, it's up to you of course.
What you get out of this is, essentially, is a query that's only satisfied
if the terms you specify are right next to each other. So you'd find both
your documents in your example, since you would have tokenized "6", "/",
"12" in, say positions 0, 1, 2 in doc1 and 4, 5, 6 in the second doc. But
since they're tokens that are next to each other in each doc, searching with
a SpanNearQuery for "6", "/", and "12" that are "right next to each other",
which you specify with a slop of 0 as I remember you should get both.

Alternatively, if you tokenize it this way, a PhraseQuery might work as
well, Thus, searching for "6 / 12" (as a phrase query and note the spaces)
might be just what you want. You'd have to tokenize the query, but that's
relatively easy. This is probably much simpler than a SpanNearQuery now that
I think about it.....

Be aware that if you use the *TermEnums we've been talking about, you'll
probably wind up wrapping them in a ConstantScoreQuery. And if you have no
*other* terms, you won't get any relevancy out of your search. This may be
important.....

Anyway, that's as creative as I can be Sunday night <G>. Best of luck....

Erick