lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From vasu shah <>
Subject Re: PrefixFilter Memory Consumption
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:31:43 GMT
Thanks for the explanation.

I am using ChainedFilter and it is taking some more time than using just one Filter.

I read somewhere on the lucene forums that the speed can be increased for Filters if we have
a large bitset and then work on it. Is it possible and if yes, how? I would like to know the

Thanks once again.

Yonik Seeley <> wrote: On 10/17/06, vasu shah  wrote:
>   Can anyone please tell as to what is the difference between PrefixFilter and WildcardQuery
as far as memory is concerned?
>   I saw the code of PrefixFilter and it gets TermEnum for all the terms in the index.
Won't this consume memory??

It takes time, not memory.  TermEnum is like an iterator - it doesn't
keep everything it iterates over in memory.  The memory for filters
will be for the bitset (1 bit for every document in the index, so a 1M
doc index will take 125KB of mem per filter).

Both PrefixQuery and PrefixFilter need to use a TermEnum, the
difference is what they do with the resulting terms.

-Yonik Solr, the open-source Lucene search server

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: