lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Eugeny N Dzhurinsky <b...@redwerk.com>
Subject Re: Distinct search
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:33:12 GMT
On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 12:09:40PM -0400, Erick Erickson wrote:
> No problem. Partly, it's helping me clarify my current problem <G>....
>
> Yes, you must delete and re-add a document to change it. You might want to
> look at the IndexModifier class. Be aware of some things:
> 1> Lucene doc IDs may change when the index is changed, I think after
> optimization. So, in order to find specific docs you'll want to add a unique
> ID field.
> 2> deleteing a document only marks it as deleted. It's still actually in the
> index (although you won't be able to see it). Optimizing an index actually
> physically removes it (and shrinks the index size).
> 3> after changing an index, you must open a new IndexReader before you see
> the changes.
> 4> The only information you can reliably get out of an index is data you've
> stored (e.g. Field.Store.YES). This only matters if you're trying to read
> the doc *from* the index and change it. If you're just replacing it with a
> fresh copy from somewhere else (e.g. re-reading the doc from the database),
> it's not a problem.
> 5> Lucene has no notion of constraints. That is, Lucene is perfectly happy
> with two identical documents in the index, so be sure to delete before you
> add <G>....

Thats great!
Looks like the solution I needed, because each record will definitely has
unique ID, I need to just index document  and it's comments - not store
contents etc, and I don't need any constraints!

I just need to search for something, which search will return set of that
unique IDs (those IDs are obtained from a database).

Thank you very much for all your help!

--
Eugene N Dzhurinsky