lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Simon Wistow <si...@thegestalt.org>
Subject Re: Searching documents on big index by using ParallelMultiSearcher is slow...
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 13:26:38 GMT
On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 08:14:38AM -0400, Haines, Ronald C. (LNG-DAY) said:
> I too am interested in learning more about a large scale distributed
> Lucene model.

I'm also building a large scale (billions of documents) Lucene index.

Prelimary experimentation with a RemoteSearch/ParallelMultiSearcher
combination found that there were issues with the RMI causing
significant blocking.

I'm currently playing around with trying alternative messaging
approaches so that I can also load balance requests.

One of the things I haven't decided on is the optimum size for the sub
indexes. Does anybody have any data on the overhead of file handle opens
to index searching size or have anecodatal evidence of similar
experiences?

Simon