lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Tomi NA" <hef...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Hibernate to store Lucene Indexes in a Database
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2006 00:20:53 GMT
On 9/8/06, Néstor Boscán <nestorjb@gmail.com> wrote:
> To reduce administration tasks. If you want to move your application from
> server to server you'll have to move the index files. I want to be able to
> move my application by just moving my database schema and deploying an ear.
>
> Regards,
>
> Néstor Boscán

Funny, I felt the same way about file-based storage: you simply pack
it up using any of the numerous file transfer tools available and you
don't have to worry about any of the database issues (possible
uncompressed large dump over the network, is the database server
running etc.).
On the other hand, if your application utilizes a database anyway, it
might be doable, assuming the app can take the performance penalty.
I'd be hard pressed to come up with a scenario where the gains
(simpler backup) would outweigh the losses (having to learn to store
the index into the database, performance, database bloat), though.
Still, it might only be my lack of imagination, that's the problem. :)

t.n.a.