lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help wanted
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:56:43 GMT
On 9/19/06, S R <akunaulaakun@yahoo.com> wrote:
>   I have just downloaded LUCENE. I am not an expert in Java. Could someone lead me in
the first few steps..

The first few steps to what?
First, figure out if you want straight lucene-java, or another
application using lucene.

Lucene is a library that helps you write applications with full-text search.
Nutch uses Lucene, and adds web site crawlers and indexers, lets you
search the index, and is massively scalable (it's google-like)
Solr is a search server built on Lucene with a customizable schema,
highlighting, faceted browsing & web service-like interfaces (think
database, but full-text oriented).

So: web search => Nutch
      other search => Solr (no need for custom code)
      other, other search => Lucene (roll your own around Lucene)

-Yonik