lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "no spam" <mrs.nos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: default AND operator
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:36:14 GMT
When I use "french AND antiques" I get documents like this :

score: 1.0, boost: 1.0, cont: French Antiques
score: 0.23080501, boost: 1.0, cont: FRENCH SEPTIC
score: 0.23080501, boost: 1.0, cont: French & French Septic
score: 0.20400475, boost: 1.0,id: 25460, cont: French & Associates

As in the first e-mail the Query object shows these terms:

contents:french contents:antiqu  <---- using string "french AND antiques"

when using Operator.AND it shows these:

+contents:french +contents:antiqu      <----- here I used used "french
antiques"

The second example below matches NONE of the documents above and in fact
only if I do synonym expansion with stemming.

*****My big question here is why doesn't the operator.AND force both of
these queries to be identical? These will be users typed queries so I want
Lucene to force the use of AND so I don't have to search/replace