lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: default AND operator
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:12:42 GMT

: One more question about IndexWriters (maybe I don't deserve an answer here
: :-) )  .... I assume that the Analyzer used is applied and written to the
: index per field.  So if I wanted one for Snowball or Stemming I'd have to
: write multiple indexes?  I'm a bit confused as to how the Stemmed queries
: are being matched against my StandardAnalyzer index.

what do you mean "written to the index per field" .. analyzers aren't
written to the index at all, the analyzer used is completely forgotten
once your index is built.  if you want seperate analyzers per field, take
a look at the PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper (i think that's the name) ... as for
why Stemmed Queries might match on terms indexed using StandardAnalyzer
... who knows ... it depends on how exactly they are getting stemmed, and
what other types of data might have made it into your index (maybe your
source data had the words you are searching on spelled incorrectly as
well, and it just happens to match the stemmed versions).

When you have questions like this, searcher.explain is your friend.

-Hoss