lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Alan Boshier" <Alan.Bosh...@esprit-is.com>
Subject RE: Newbie question: lucene sorting problems and stored fields
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:39:31 GMT

Thanks for your help - I think I may have stumbled on the
answer but if someone can confirm it I would be most grateful.

My guess is that, if we do the following

1. Retrieve a Document instance D from the index using
   e.g. IndexSearcher.search()
2. Delete the original Document corresponding to D from
   the index using IndexReader.delete()
3. Re-add the Document instance D to the index using
   IndexWriter.addDocument()

then the document we add back will not contain any of the
'unstored' fields that were present in the original document,
because presumably when you retrieve the Document instance
in step 1, the instance returned does not contain fields marked
as 'not stored'.

Hence in our case once the Document went through the steps
above, it lost its sortable fields. Once we marked the sortable
fields as 'stored' then the process above would preserve those
fields and hence sorting would proceed as normal.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Alan