lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chenini, Mohamed " <MChen...@geico.com>
Subject RE: lucene based frameworks/servers: solr, nutch, compass - which one is for what????
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:39:24 GMT
Otis,

Is  "the upcoming Lucene in Action part deux" a complement to LUCENE IN
ACTION (which I just recently bought)? And will it be for sale? Why
don't you and Erik don't write a Lucene/Nutch book?

Regards,
Mohamed

-----Original Message-----
From: Otis Gospodnetic [mailto:otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:40 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: lucene based frameworks/servers: solr, nutch, compass -
which one is for what????

Hi Vladimir,

Yes, you are close.  Solr doesn't use SOAP, though, and JSON is only one
of its outputs.  Solr can be described as a REST-ish web service.  You
trigger it via HTTP GET requests and responses are XML, or JSON, or
something else in the future.

I think you are right about Compass, but I have not used it, so I'm not
certain.  All of these should really get some coverge in the upcoming
Lucene in Action part deux.

Otis