lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: obtaining the number of documents stored in a .cfs file
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 16:20:23 GMT
Stanislav Jordanov wrote:
> Suppose I have a bunch of valid .cfs files while the
> segmens/segments.new file is missing or invalid.
> The task is to 'recover' the present .cfs files into a valid index.
> I think it will be necessary and sufficient to create a segments file
> that references the .cfs files.
> The only problem I've encountered in generating a vaild and
> well-formed segments file is that I need to know the number of docs in
> each cfs file.
> So the couple of questions is:
> Do I have to put the right number of docs for each segments or any
> (dummy) number will do?

Not sure, but I doubt anything else than a valid number would work.

> If I have to put the right number there, how do I get it having the
> cfs file?

Look at the size of _xx.f1 file inside CFS file; this is the norms file,
and its size in bytes is the same as the number of documents in the index.

(You can use CompoundFileReader.list() and fileLength() methods).

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><