lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Olenin" <>
Subject lucene based frameworks/servers: solr, nutch, compass - which one is for what????
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 02:19:48 GMT

Couple of people mentioned here SOLR as a 'new' Lucene based search server. But NUTCH is also
Lucene based. Also, there is an OpenSymphony initiative called 'Compass', which is rather
an integration framework than server.

I wonder if anyone can come up with a small summary of what are scopes of each of the products
above? I did some reading and shuffling, but not sure if I got it completely right. Here is
my summary. Please, correct/add-in:

- Lucene: the core/kernel of all the products. Contains all the search logic as well as index
- Nutch: Interent/Itranet search engine. Shipped with a web crawler and a framework to run
the Nutch in clustered environment (Hadoop). Open Source 'Google' :).
- Solr: SOAP/XML/JSON interface to the Lucene
- Compass: a integration framework which wires your application with Lucene using Spring/Hibernate

Am I close?