lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Phrase search using quotes -- special Tokenizer
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2006 13:43:44 GMT
Well, you're flying blind. Is the behavior rooted in the indexing or
querying? Since you can't answer that, you're reduced to trying random
things hoping that one of them works. A little like voodoo. I've wasted
faaaaarrrrrr too much time trying to solve what I was *sure* was the problem
only to find it was somewhere else (the last place I look, of course) <G>...

Using Luke on a RAMDir. No, I don't know how to, but it should be a simple
thing to write the index to an FSDir at the same time you create your RAMDir
and use Luke then. This is debugging, after all.

I'd be really, really, really reluctant to modify the query parser and/or
the tokenizer, since whenever I've been tempted it's usually because I don't
understand the tools already provided. Then I have to maintain my custom
code. Which sucks. Although it sure feels more productive to hack a bunch of
code and get something that works 90% of the time, then spend weeks making
the other 10% work than taking two days to find the 3 lines you *really*
need <G>.

Have you thought of a PatternAnalyzer? It takes a regular expression as the
tokenizer and  (from the Javadoc)
<<< Efficient Lucene analyzer/tokenizer that preferably operates on a String
rather than a Reader<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/java/io/Reader.html>,
that can flexibly separate text into terms via a regular expression
Pattern<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/java/util/regex/Pattern.html>(with
behaviour identical to
String.split(String)<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#split%28java.lang.String%29>),
and that combines the functionality of
LetterTokenizer<file:///C:/lucene_1.9.1/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/analysis/LetterTokenizer.html>,
LowerCaseTokenizer<file:///C:/lucene_1.9.1/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/analysis/LowerCaseTokenizer.html>,
WhitespaceTokenizer<file:///C:/lucene_1.9.1/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/analysis/WhitespaceTokenizer.html>,
StopFilter<file:///C:/lucene_1.9.1/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/analysis/StopFilter.html>into
a single efficient multi-purpose class.>>>

One word of caution, the regular expression consists of expressions that
*break* tokens, not expressions that *form* words, which threw me at first.
Just like the doc says, like splitstring <G>.... This is in 2.0, although I
*believe* it's also in the contrib section of 1.9 (or is in the regular API,
I forget).

Best
Erick

"@" <ALPHANUM>