lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: lucene based frameworks/servers: solr, nutch, compass - which one is for what????
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 03:39:46 GMT
Hi Vladimir,

Yes, you are close.  Solr doesn't use SOAP, though, and JSON is only one of its outputs.
Solr can be described as a REST-ish web service.  You trigger it via HTTP GET requests and

I think you are right about Compass, but I have not used it, so I'm not certain.  All of these
should really get some coverge in the upcoming Lucene in Action part deux.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Vladimir Olenin <VOlenin@cihi.ca>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:19:48 PM
Subject: lucene based frameworks/servers: solr, nutch, compass - which one is for what????

Hi,

Couple of people mentioned here SOLR as a 'new' Lucene based search server. But NUTCH is also
Lucene based. Also, there is an OpenSymphony initiative called 'Compass', which is rather
an integration framework than server.

I wonder if anyone can come up with a small summary of what are scopes of each of the products
above? I did some reading and shuffling, but not sure if I got it completely right. Here is
my summary. Please, correct/add-in:

- Lucene: the core/kernel of all the products. Contains all the search logic as well as index
maintenance.
- Nutch: Interent/Itranet search engine. Shipped with a web crawler and a framework to run
the Nutch in clustered environment (Hadoop). Open Source 'Google' :).
- Solr: SOAP/XML/JSON interface to the Lucene
- Compass: a integration framework which wires your application with Lucene using Spring/Hibernate

Am I close?

Vlad