lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From karl wettin <karl.wet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Splitting the index
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:50:16 GMT
On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 10:05 +0100, Rob Young wrote:

> > total file system size of the index?
> segments    31b
> deletable    4b
> index      286Mb

If you experience that a 300M index is much slower than a.. 30M or so,
then something is probably rotten. I don't consider a 300M to be a
fairly small index. Perhaps it is your application that keep falling
back on fuzzy? That could explain it.

And if it is a commercial project where time is expensive, go buy a
bunch of RAM and run from a RAMDirectory. It might make no difference as
a FSDirectory end up in memory as file cache. My (jira 550) index might
be able to help you then. It consumes twice the memory but is something
like 10-200 time faster than RAMDirectory depending on your query and
the number of resulting hits.