lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "jacky" <jackych...@gmail.com>
Subject Keep hits in results
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 04:56:53 GMT
hi,
  The following words are quoted from "lucene in action":
  "There are a couple of implementation approaches:
 1. Keep the original Hits and IndexSearcher instances available while the
user is navigating the search results.
 2. Requery each time the user navigates to a new page.
It turns out that requerying is most often the best solution. Requerying eliminates
the need to store per-user state. In a web application, staying stateless (no
HTTP session) is often desirable. Requerying at first glance seems a waste, but
Lucene’s blazing speed more than compensates. "

   I am confused about this paragraph. Since Hits is just a simple container of pointers
to ranked search results, it doesn't load from the index all documents that match a query,
but only a small portion of them at a time. If we requery, we will get a new hits, why not
just keeping the orginal Hits which will not waste much memory.

     Best Regards.
       jacky