lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Tomi NA" <hef...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 30 milllion+ docs on a single server
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:55:53 GMT
On 8/12/06, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've made a nice little archive application with lucene. I made it to
> handle our largest need: 2.5 million docs or so on a single server. Now
> the powers that be say: lets use it for a 30+ million document archive
> on a single server! (each doc size maybe 10k max...as small as a 1 or
> 2k) Please tell me why we are in trouble...please tell me why we are
> not. I have tested up to 2 million docs without much trouble but 30
> million...the average search will include a sort on a field as
> well...can I search 30+ million docs with a sort? Man am I worried about
> that. Maybe the server will have 8 procs and 12 billion gigs of RAM.
> Mabye. Even still, Tomcat seems to be able to launch with a max of 1.5
> or 1.6 gig of Ram in Windows. What do you think? 30 million+ sounds like
> too much of a load to me for a single server. Not that they care what I
> think...I only wrote the thing (man I hate my job, offer me a new one :)
> )...please...comments?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Miserable Mark

I don't really understand what you're so worried about. Either it'll
work well with the setup you have, or it won't. It's really the size
of it. ;)
Seriously, you have a number of relatively cheap possibilities at hand
to improve search performance: storing the index on a RAID 5 disk
array will let you read the indices very fast, using multicore CPUs,
adding memory and even if all that isn't good enough, you can always
use a small cluster (say, 4 nodes) of very, very inexpensive PCs
filled with a GB of RAM. You don't have to keep them inside the
regular UPS/backup/voult-protected area as the indices can always be
rebuilt (unlike e.g. data in transactional systems) and between 4 of
them they might cost like an entry-level server.
I'll let the experts speak now. :)

t.n.a.